Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Gregor's Room: A Response

Gregor's Room

Franz Kafka's classic, The Metamorphosis, is strange and lovely and very sad. Many elements of the story pique my interest, however I am most drawn to the relationship between Gregor and his sister, Grete, both before and after his transformation. Besides Gregor's obvious transition into a bug, Grete also experiences her own evolution and awakening throughout the course of the story; for example, what was once cautious but loving care turns into indifference and anger toward Gregor. The pivotal scene in which Gregor creeps out of his room to hear his sister play the violin for the lodgers broke my heart. Kafka asks, "Was he an animal that music so captivated him?" The dehumanization of Gregor, the slow yet consistent degradation of his former life, culminates when one of the lodgers spies Gregor approaching his sister and cries out to Gregor's father. After the lodgers make their exit, Grete declares they must get rid of Gregor, that she will "no longer utter [her] brother's name in front of this monster." Although I saw the change coming, I was still shocked by her use of the word "monster"! I believe Grete also became a little less human by the end of the tale. She was no longer able to see Gregor as anything more than a disgusting nuisance; no trace of her brother remained. Her seeing barely skimmed the surface.

I have a sister who I love very much and is also my best friend. Throughout The Metamorphosis, I kept thinking about how I would react if she woke up one day transformed into a giant bug. (Even though it seems ludicrous, impossible even, I'm still going to knock on wood!) I would do everything possible to help her get better: take time off from school, get her to the best doctors, protect her from tabloids and the like. Thinking about how much my life would change is actually making me feel a little sick. And Gregor's family's life changed too, albeit in different ways. Instead of focusing on helping him get better, it seemed like the moment they realized Gregor had changed into something strange, they became scared of him and avoided him (except for his sister, to some extent) as much as possible. I would not lock my sister away and shove bowls of milk and bread pieces under the door. 

If I were to transform into a shocking new form, I know I would react differently than Gregor. He seems so detached from it all. It takes him a long while to actually start internalizing the metamorphosis and recognize the gravity of his situation. At the beginning of his transformation, all he can think about is work. Work would be the last thing on my mind if I woke up as a giant bug! But Kafka didn't characterize him as such a workaholic by accident. Gregor's metamorphosis reveals much about the human condition, about how we can become grotesque and savage without even turning into something physically different than ourselves.

A key image (no pun intended) that stuck with me last night when I couldn't fall asleep: Gregor using his jaw to turn the key in his door and the resulting brown liquid that flowed forth. GOD. Also, the rotting apple stuck in his back. So sad, yet so repulsive. Kafka did a wonderful job with his imagery.

Words
Derangement - a disturbance of normal bodily function or operation
Chagrin - distress of the mind caused by humiliation, disappointment, or failure
Entreaty - an earnest request or petition; a plea
Prerogative - an exclusive or special right, power, or privilege; a distinctive excellence
Plaintive - mournful or melancholy

       

No comments:

Post a Comment