Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Understanding Place, Creating Space


One More Thing...

I neglected to post this during the Gregor's Room project, however I think that even though it's late, it's still important enough to mention. One of the major goals of Gregor's Room was to interpret literature using text as a guide for the "visual." The Metamorphosis has no actual pictures, but it doesn't need them: its words create the undeniably vivid imagery that has made it into such a well-known piece of literature. Capturing the essence of one medium in another is no easy task; however, it is in this difficulty that the potential for greatness exists.

In an unofficial music video for Lotus Plaza's "Strangers," found footage mostly consisting of clips from "No York City" by Rick Liss is used to construct a piece harmonious with the texture of the song. Although I really love the song, I frequently revisited this video while working on my version of Gregor's Room because it inspired me to create a space equally vibrant and texturally accurate. It seems as if the film and the song were made for one another, even though one came way after the other, and I wanted to achieve the same sort of euphony with my "set design." 

"Strangers" Music Video    





No comments:

Post a Comment