Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Final Transformation

The End

Well, we've reached it! Our final project was to manipulate one of our 3D pieces into a 2D image. I decided to use one of my first pieces, "Our Home" from the Elements & Principles assignment, and make one of those classic, white-text-on-black-background motivational posters. The idea, though very simple, felt like the perfect way to end my journey in this class.

In order to create my final image, I constructed a small scene out of the sculpture and art supplies (of the kindergarten-esque red, yellow, blue, and green). I molded a small person and positioned her to be both central to and just another part of the piece; I wanted to emphasize the simultaneous, contrasting "center of the universe" and "tiny fish in a big pond" feelings art can give us. The little person is carrying a piece of wood, which she will probably add to the house behind her. But that, of course, is unknown. Perhaps she is even walking away from the house, having taken a chunk of it with her. I used primary colors (and green) because I wanted to establish a playful vibe, one that was childish yet still very clever and self-aware. The reason I decided to feature the photograph on a motivational poster is because they're so cliche, and I wanted to take that triteness and pull it apart, mold it, warm it in my palms just like I did when creating my tiny clay person. 

I remember - with a rueful smile - all the motivational posters that used to mock me at the physical therapy place I went to in order to rehabilitate my broken arm. "TEAMWORK" said a group of rowers. "DETERMINATION" said a marathon runner. I could barely stand it. But as my time at physical therapy came to a close, I realized I'd miss those stupid posters with their stupid stock photographs and vapid wisdom. 

Most everyone's encountered at least one of these motivational posters at some point in their life, and I know that when they'll see mine, they'll probably roll their eyes and go, Really? But I want that reaction...because then I want them to look closer at the photograph and notice all the little intricacies, and wonder what exactly is going on with that little guy. I want them to read my tagline on what I think art is all about and agree or disagree. I want them to consider what art means to them.

To make a motivational poster is such a simple idea, maybe a risky one because it can so easily fall into stereotypes, but here I am. I've made it, both literally and figuratively. And I couldn't be happier. 

Final Solution



No comments:

Post a Comment